Study medicine abroad avoiding the entrance test


In 2017 alone, just under 70,000 students tried to take the medicine test in the many universities in Italy . Only one in seven, however – according to statistics – has exceeded the barrier of access to the first year: a minimum percentage, on balance. Every year the doors of the limited-number faculties close themselves before aspiring doctors and dentists, so the choice for many becomes obligatory: enroll in other similar scientific faculties, waiting to take the test the following year, seeing a good number of exams recognized .

But there are those who do not want to wait a year and, suitcase to hand, find solutions faster to take the coveted degree. In fact, every year – and the trend is growing – there are many students who choose to leave for Europe to complete their studies in a foreign language or, why not, even in their own language . All this in the face of, in most cases, a large expense for families.


Data in hand, the Fnomceo (National Federation of Medical and Surgical Doctors’ Orders) informs that the percentage of dentists with a degree obtained abroad enrolled in the Register in 2017 is about 40% (531 out of 1335, to be precise ). An important fact that Raffaele Iandolo, president of the Board of Dentists, does not feel like underestimating. “It is a trend that seems to be growing, that of enrolling in universities in other European countries, a little ‘to get around the access tests, a little’ because the private training offer is wider than Italy, a little ‘for to have an experience abroad “, declares Iandolo. What makes it known that in some countries the training of future healthcare abroad is a strategic choice: “In Britain it is so, we will see what will happen now with Brexit, but today there are many Italian and Commonwealth students among the doctors” .


The degrees obtained in the EU are currently considered in the same way as the Italian ones: “I have to consider them all the same”, declares Iandolo. ” If in Italy a colleague arrives with a degree in dentistry obtained in one of these countries, I must take his training for granted “. The case of non-EU countries is different , so registration in the Register requires a more complex procedure. But even in this case, there are exceptions: “There are agreements with Italian universities that allow courses of Italian universities to be held at branch offices in Albania, currently a non-EU country.”


Luca Petti Cammarata is General Manager of Medicor Tutor , a company founded in 2010 to provide assistance to Italian students who want to study medicine in some European universities. There are many agencies born for this purpose that mainly deal with:

  • Orientation of young people towards the most appropriate European faculty according to their background and their aspirations;
  • Preparation for the eventual entry test;
  • Support in the management of paperwork;
  • Support in finding accommodation;
  • Guarantee for the families of children who see the agency as a safe reference point in the six-year university career of their children.

“Medicor Tutor collaborates today with universities in Spain, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Croatia “, explains Cammarata, and specifies that not all European universities have an entrance test: “Public universities provide a test of entry into science subjects: chemistry, biology, physics, but private universities select students based on high school grades and foreign language skills “. A detail not to be underestimated is that not all tests are the same : some universities have very strict ones, others not.

University abroad: admission, taxes and subsidies


Would you like to take a course abroad? If so, know that you are in good company: there are more and more international exchange programsthat allow you to do a study experience outside your country for longer or shorter periods. Of course, before choosing the final destination, it is good to inquire about a series of practical issues. Is the qualification you are going to receive valid throughout Europe? What documents do I need to present? At what level is it good to know the language of the host country? Is it possible to study outside not for a whole cycle of studies but only for a period, for example for a single academic year or academic year?

So here’s another point to keep in mind: entry conditions vary greatly from one country to another , so make sure to learn about the higher education system of the country you wish to study before leaving your country. Even if you can not be denied access to training and education in another EU country on the basis of nationality , in some European countries you may need to take a language test to prove that you know the language of the chosen country.

WORKING ABROAD – If you have completed or are about to complete your studies, perhaps you would like to check out the possibility of working in another EU country. Read the Eures Guide to work abroad

In some countries, university studies are free, while in others they can be expensive. If the university in the European country of your choice is free, it will be for you too. In any case, you will not be able to pay higher taxes than those of residents in the country. You are also entitled to the same grants to cover tuition fees .

Do you want to leave for the holidays? – Read the Eures Guide for safe and secure travel

With regard to maintenance grants and loans , some countries grant them to foreign students, but you do not automatically have the right to them (unless you have been in the country concerned for five years or more). For more information, contact the Ministries of Education.

Find out more: Taxes and economic aid

ERASMUS + – If you plan to do part of your studies abroad, it is preferable that you ask your university first to find out what opportunities are available. More than 4,000 higher education institutions from 33 countries (all EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Norway and Turkey) participate in the Erasmus + program.